Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Veil Va-Va-Voom: Part Two

You might remember my post about the first part of my veil saga where I told you all how I made my own birdcage veil. If you don't, that's okay. It was so long ago! It took me a bit longer than anticipated to finish my second veil, so you'll have to excuse the gap between parts one and two of this story!

Anyways, I promised I'd show you a picture of me wearing the birdcage that I made:


I'm still working on the placement, which makes a shockingly big difference in how the veil looks. I'm thinking I might need to bobby pin it to my head in a place or two, as well.

I also showed you the vintage French lace that I bought from Etsy in my post about my somethings. As it turns out, hand stitching that lace to the bottom of my veil took several weeks of painstaking effort. But I'm very pleased with the end result!


I wanted a shoulder-length veil because the detail on the back of my dress is too beautiful to cover up (I know, I know...). It was surprisingly difficult to find a shoulder-length veil! I guess they're really out of vogue. That was what prompted me to make my own veils in the first place.

I'm really glad I made them, though, because now they're both so very much my own.


The trick now is just to figure out how and when to wear each of my veils. I know it's become acceptable to wear a traditional veil during the ceremony and throw on a birdcage for the reception, but the birdcage I made covers my whole face, which isn't exactly ideal for eating/talking/kissing/dancing/etc. 

I had thought that maybe I would just wear the shoulder-length veil and use the birdcage solely for pictures, but I kind've feel like I worked too hard on the birdcage to sell it short like that.

Momma Star suggested that I actually reverse things and wear the birdcage for the ceremony and have Mr. Star do a cute "lift the veil" thing before the kiss, which I think would be really fun. Then I could wear the other veil for the reception. The only thing that bothers me about that plan is that wearing a veil that falls behind me really makes me feel like a bride. Like, I cried in the salon when I put on a veil for the first time. So I'm torn.

What do you think? How should I plan to use both veils? Do you have two; and if so, how are you wearing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment