Monday, July 13, 2009

Polka Dotted Bridesmaids

Having a polka dot motif certainly opened us up to a lot of cool options for everything -- from cake, to bow details, to pretty paper, to bridesmaid attire! The struggle for me has been to balance my concern about having too few polka dots versus having too many. The perfect polka dot balance is a tough one to strike.

So when I first started thinking about bridesmaid dresses, I was up in the air. There are some totally awesome options like this gorgeous dress with a purple sash:


I love, love, love this dress, but decided that it would be way too much on five girls. Maybe just on my MOH, I then pondered. But I quickly rejected that idea, too, because I was worried that she would look too different from the other bridesmaids and me.

So I decided to go with deep purple dresses and have the girls wear polka dotted accents instead. I decided that, since my girls are each so incredibly different and full of their own wonderful personality and style, I would let them each choose a different polka dotted accessory and not dictate how they wear their hair or which shoes they buy. This has resulted in awesomeness all around so far. I really hope they all look as amazing together as I think they will.



Sassy Bridesmaid bought some super cute polka dotted hoop earrings from Cassowaryjewelry on Etsy for just $8!


Fairy Bridesmaid made three separate polka dotted chokers that are each slightly different, just so I could pick which one I liked best!


My MOH whipped this beautiful little fascinator up in about 10 minutes; I was so impressed! She just took some grosgrain polka dotted ribbon and hotglued (you knew it was coming) it in to a fan shape as she went, then glued an oversized button on top of it and added some rhinestones for bling. Then it all got glued right to a little plastic comb and voila!

I was really hoping one of my bridesmaids would choose shoes. Really, really hoping (thanks, Boston Bridesmaid!!). I originally wanted to wear polka dotted shoes, but I just don't think it would work with my dress.


Blonde Bridesmaid made herself an adorable polka dotted headband with purple sparkly buttons on it, all from supplies we picked up at M&J Trimmings. This headband looks similar to the one she made except it doesn't have the purple bling.

Are all of your bridesmaids dressing alike or are you giving them some creative license?

1 comment:

  1. Tooooo cute! And I *adore* those shoes! man, it is a shame about that dress, cuz the dress is *stunning* -- but yeah, probably a bit overwhelming on 5 (who am I kidding, I think it would have *rocked!!* hee). But I bet the deep purple + the accents will be awesome! And, sidenote, I just noticed your ring pic -- truly such a lovely, dainty, beautiful ring!!

    ReplyDelete