Saturday, July 4, 2009

Little Puppy, Little Prince

Mr. Star and I have been lucky enough to have had exactly zero wedding-related fights throughout our nearly two year engagement. This is probably because, quite frankly, Mr. Star has been the ideal groom: supportive, interested, terribly excited, and willing to let me craft the wedding into pretty much exactly what I've been envisioning. 

So when he has an idea that he's really got his little heart set on, I just can't turn him down.

Enter: Etsy seller FirstComesLove. We were trolling the wedding vendors on Etsy together one night, early on in the planning stages (I did this a lot, in addition to looking at wedding-related blogs, which helped me enormously in creating a vision). We came across FirstComesLove's ringbearer pillows, which are gorgeous. After a few clicks, Mr. Star pointed to a tiny little doggie-sized ringbearer pillow. The conversation went something like this:

Mr. Star: Aww, look how cute that is! A dog ringbearer would be adorable.
Miss Star: ...Seriously?
Mr. Star: Oh, definitely. Just think about how fun it would be to have our dog there with us on our big day.
Miss Star: Yes, we do love him very much...
Mr. Star: And we don't have any little boys in the family for ringbearer duties, we were just talking about this!
Miss Star: ...
Mr. Star: The pillow is even polka-dotted (boy, does he know me).
Miss star: Welllll...

I hemmed and hawed over it for a few days, wondering what people would think, what people would say. Would people judge us for being the kind of people who included their dog in their wedding party? 

Then I realized how A. insecure and B. selfish I was being. Who cares what other people think, first of all? We're getting married in a theater. If we were worried about what people might say, we've already blown it. And two, Mr. Star has let me do pretty much whatever I wanted to for the wedding without complaint. If he feels so strongly about a specific aspect of the wedding, then he should get his way and I will be happy about it.

So our little ringbearer will be our precious Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Duncan.

He's an absolute love whom we rescued a little over a year ago when we were graduating from college. The funny part of that story is that we were forced to pick him up three weeks before our apartment lease began or risk not getting him, so we hid him in my tiny dorm room without getting caught for almost a month! That gives you an idea of how well-behaved he is (Shhh, don't tell Hofstra).

We ended up buying the ringbearer pillow from Etsy, as well, and it is adorable:

Puppy Star thinks it looks like great fun to chew on, so I'm pretty sure it's destined to become a doggie toy after the wedding! Now we're just trying to decide if we think Puppy Star can make it down the aisle and to Mr. Star (he really, really loves Mr. Star!), or if we need to have one of Mr. Star's brothers walk down with him.

What wedding details have you compromised on to make your Mister happy? Would you ever consider having a non-standard bearer of rings? ;)

(Both photos by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment