Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh yeah, this is why I'm marrying him

Is it weird to feel more secure in your relationship during the tough times?

If so, then I'm definitely weird. No, wait. I'm definitely weird either way. But that's a different post for a different day :)

As it always does, life has been busy handing us a heaping helping of GOOD and BAD. Only lately it seems like the GOOD and BAD have been thrown at us in rapid-fire succession and my head is spinning so fast that I can't keep up with my own emotions.

We are officially 20 days away from being married (eek!), but my focus has been all over the place trying to keep up with the GOOD and the BAD in our lives lately.



One of the GOOD things is captured right there in that gorgeous picture. Yes, that was actually the incredible sunset view from our balcony the other night. Most nights, we can see the sky turn that fabulous pinky-purple right from our couch and it is breathtaking. Mr. Star and I can hardly believe that we live here and are afraid some morning we'll wake up and it will all have been a dream.

Moving, though? That was BAD news right there. We hired four moving companies before one actually showed up to help us move. Yeah, you heard me right. And the move itself took fourteen very long hours. We were cranky and wiped, to say the least. And we've been trying to unpack like crazy people to get ready for the wedding. Mr. Star has been a prince, never complaining and always volunteering to do the dirty work, like sanding down furniture to be re-painted (I hate sanding!).



Take a look at that charming piece of GOODness right there! Yeah, we just got a puppy as a gift from Momma Star. I've been wanting a Yorkie to call my own for some time and now I have a little 10-week-old 1.6 pound bundle of love named Stella. She is fabulous and adorable and we all love her (Duncan , included).

Mr. Star often sneaks around and cleans up her BAD potty training accidents before I have the chance to find them myself. What a sweet guy, right?


Reuben and I danced together as we all picked Reception music together

We've been so lucky lately with so many amazing GOOD things in our life, that my worst piece of BAD news has been all the more sad. This past week, I had to make the very difficult decision to put my 20-year-old family cat, Reuben, to sleep. It was BAD, my friends. Very bad. I held him in my arms and said all the nice kitty things I could think of in his last few moments. The only GOOD part about it was that I was able to be there comforting him and that he left this world the way every person and animal should: being held and surrounded by those you love.

Mr. Star was right there with me through it all, holding me as I said goodbye to Reuben and talking to me all night as I sobbed in bed, and suddenly all the wedding jitters and marriage anxiety that has been creeping in on me lately just faded away as I thought: Oh god, this is why I love him. This is why we're getting married.



I know that we'll always be there for each other, holding hands and looking outward towards the world together, and while all the GOOD in our lives has been really uplifting, it's definitely the BAD times that make me know we'll be okay. Twisted as it may sound, that's how it is.

So I guess my Reuben's last gift to me was the GOOD of reminding me that I am definitely making the right choice and doing the right thing in marrying Mr. Star, who celebrates the GOOD times with me and holds me close through the BAD.

What reminds you of why you're marrying your sweetie?

No comments:

Post a Comment