Saturday, June 27, 2009

Table numbering (verb):

Table numbering (verb): The uniquely bridal attempt at making something totally utilitarian into another excuse to craft something unnecessarily complex and beautiful.

Awhile back, I was totally inspired by Mrs. Eggplant's DIY photo table numbers post. For some time, I had been thinking about making our table numbers have something to do with our theatrical theme, like maybe naming them after plays we've each been in or such. I also wanted them to carry the polka dot motif that we've got going on, as well. But then I wanted to do photo table numbers after seeing the awesomeness of Mr. and Mrs. Eggplant. How to reconcile, how to reconcile...

This is what I came up with:



Pretty cute, right? It really was super easy, too.

We both dressed up for the photo-taking occasion, I wore my fave little black dress and he wore a dress shirt and pants. We asked Blonde Bridesmaid to come over and help us out by taking pictures of us in the park. I took Mrs. Eggplant's wise advice to buy one posterboard and not try to write each table number on it, but rather photoshop the words on later. So Mr. Star and I basically goofed off in the park for half an hour, while Blonde Bridesmaid photographed the whole thing.

Because I'm a cheapo and don't actually have Photoshop on my Mac, I decided to take the easy route out: Go edit and print the pictures out at Duane Reade (or CVS/Walgreens, for you non-NYC'ers!). The DIY photo machine there was plenty sophisticated enough for the quick edits I needed to do. I simply cropped the pictures, made them black and white, lightened a few of them that were too dark up, and added text across the white posterboard for each one. Pretty soon, I had 10 printed pictures for 30 cents each! Not bad.



Then I put them in silver frames that I bought from Jack's 99cent Store (NYC dollar store that has saved my wedding life!) and hot glued (you knew that was coming) one of the same little polka dotted bows that I made for the bouts onto the top of each frame. That $8 of polka dot ribbon that I bought from Ebay has really come in handy! Oh, and don't worry, the pictures aren't fuzzy at all, it's just a photographer error :)






For any theatre junkies who are keeping track, the plays we chose were:
  • Oedipus
  • Stop, Kiss
  • All My Sons
  • Les Mis
  • Macbeth
  • Into the Woods
  • Cyrano
  • Agamemnon
  • Camille (More significance of this one will come later!)
  • Rumors
We tried to mix up the genres of plays and musicals, modern plays with the classics. We've performed in about half of them between the two of us, and the other half are ones we've read or seen and fell in love with.

What has inspired you for your table numbers?

No comments:

Post a Comment