Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Best Bridesmaid Gift Ever...

... is not making them dress like this:


Okay, Star Bridesmaids! This is your cue to skedaddle if you happen to be reading today. 

Peace. Sayonara. Hasta la vista. Ciao.

So I figured I should probably get them a little something other than a considerate dress choice, since I love them all so much. :)

They've each done a lot of DIY project pitching-in, emotional consolation, or organizational legwork throughout the course of a two-year engagement. They are some rockin' ladies.

First, I wanted to get them clutches that looked like they went together, but weren't too matchy-matchy. I also wanted my ladies to be able to use them post- wedding! I discovered that (once again), my criteria made it tough to find them in stores, so I turned to my trusty standby: Etsy, of course!

I put out another alchemy request for five bridesmaid clutches that were coordinating, but still fit the individual personalities of each of my ladies, and this is what I ended up with:


They. Are. Gorgeous. Seriously, this picture doesn't do them justice. In person, the fabric is so luxurious and they are just beautiful. When I got them in the mail, I really wanted to keep one. I had them made with the accent color in a bold version of a color that I know each lady loves. Fairy Bridesmaid, for example, has always loved yellow, so her clutch has a pop of yellow.

But I also wanted to give them something more personal that came from my heart. So I wrote each of them sonnets (yes, in verse! see, that theatre degree DOES come in handy!) on coordinating cardstock and using my new found calligraphy skillz!


I love how fun they all look together:


And then I new I wanted to wrap everything up in an adorable little package, because I know that sometimes a beautiful package is almost as much fun as the gift itself.

So I trolled the dollar store (it's Jack's 99 cent store here in NYC) for weeks until they put these gorgeous black and white damask bags out and I snatched up five of them. Score! I splurged on some expensive scalloped pink tissue paper and found some adorable pink christmas ornaments that say "bridesmaid" on them to hang on the outside of the bags. I'm thinking about trying to personalize the ornaments by writing their names on them, but I'm not sure how to do it yet on a glazed ceramic ornament. Ideas are welcome!

Altogether, the packing looks like this:


I can't WAIT to give these to my girls. Not only do I love their clutches, but the whole package will look so cute and I spent some mucho time on writing a whole sonnet about each of my girls and making it pretty with calligraphy! I love gifts, both giving and receiving, and I think I'm more excited about giving these to my girls than they are about finding out what they are!

What are you giving your girls to thank them? Did you make them, buy them, or a combination of both?

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful gift idea!! If I were a bridesmaid I would LOVE to get something like this (both classy & thoughtful - two VERY important things!)

    Well Done, my dear!

    ReplyDelete