Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Card Box Fit For a Manhattanite

Card boxes were never one of those fun, crafty details that I daydreamed about. Let's be frank here, people. It could have just been a big box. But that wouldn't have been ambitious (read: crazy) enough for Miss Star. No, no, no...

My wonderful DOC, Danielle, asked me a couple of weeks ago what I had planned for a card box. Nothing, was my initial answer. She offered to carry them around for us all night, buuuut that just didn't seem fair. So if I was going to put effort into another crafty detail, it was gonna be something awesome.

I wanted to make a non-box-shaped box out of paper mache and I wanted it to be along with our already-established wedding theme (uh, polka dots, showbiz, and NYC?). I thought about trying to make drama masks -- too hard. I thought about a taxi cab -- also too hard. Fairy Bridesmaid suggested the Empire State Building -- I was sold. We live two blocks from the ESB and have an incredible view of it from our rooftop, plus it was a pretty easy shape to create.

First, I took some leftover moving boxes and chopped them up into the appropriate sizes so that they could be duct taped together.



At this stage, it looked pretty shabby and I was slightly concerned. But soldier on I did! Next up, it was time for some paper mache action. One part flour and one part water combined into a bowl, add some (okay, TONS!) of strips of newspaper, recruit Sassy Bridesmaid to help, and voila!



Still super ugly, but much more stable and Empire State Building-esque!

Paint gray, use a black sharpie to spend an hour drawing what seem like endless windows, and slap a card sign on there to get:



A mini-Empire State Building held up next to the real thing!

Yeah, the scale didn't come out quite right and it is a tad large for a card box, but I think it looks awesome! I can't wait for everyone to see it.




Did you use anything unconventional for your card box?

No comments:

Post a Comment