Monday, April 12, 2010

Oohing and Aahing my way through my first runway show -- St. Pucchi!

This past weekend, Mrs. D'Orsay and I had the honor of representing Weddingbee at the New York bridal market St. Pucchi runway show. We had a blast sipping on our mimosas and getting tempted into planning vow renewals by the fabulous dresses. Despite the fact that Mr. Star and I live three blocks from Bryant Park, this was my first ever runway show and I might just be hooked. Check out this eye candy and you'll see why!

This collection was allll about Romance and Drama, which is totally my thing, in case you hadn't guessed. These gowns were not built for the practical bride, but rather for the one who truly believes in pain and beauty being bedfellows. I'm one of those crazies, which is why I had both a stunning wedding dress and was barely able to walk the day after our wedding, but I digress. Here are some of the trends I noticed from the show:

1. Lace or ruffles and bling on the same dress. Usually, a wedding dress either falls into the "sweet and romantic and lacy" category or the "bling it up" category, but not both. There was a whole lot of crossover in this show, which was very interesting to see because it was so unexpected. Check out these gorgeous lacy dresses that also feature some bling:

(Photo Credit to AisleDash)

And this dress, which was my personal favorite from the show, features a decadently beaded top half and a bottom cascading with soft ruffles. Love it!

(Photo scanned from the St. Pucchi press kit we were given at the show)

2. Tulle used in unexpected ways. I think by now everyone expects to see tulle in wedding dress designs, so there's no big shocker there, but I liked the innovative ways that tulle was incorporated into the St. Pucchi dresses. Take this dress, for example, which has tiers of mini "tulle puffs," which is the best way I can describe them (hey, I'm no fashion pro here):

(Photo by Patrick Ryan Photography)

And this dress features layers of folded over and pinned up tulle, which I think makes for an interesting texture:

(Photo by Patrick Ryan Photography)

Both of those dresses had bling on them, too. This was not a show for the lovers of simplicity :)

3. Corsets, corsets, corsets! There were sheer corsets, there were opaque corsets, there were lace up corsets, there were...okay, you get the point. Lots of corsets in this show, which I love for creating or emphasizing beautiful hourglass figures. I'm not the biggest fan of sheer corsets in wedding dresses myself, but I do love a good rocker chick who can pull one off.

(Featuring my sad photography skills)

4. Highly detailed gowns. Every gown in this show was worked! Not overworked, but worked. There was beading, there was extraordinarily intricate lace, and there were stunning details everywhere. Just take a look at this beading:

(Hey, did you know how hard it is to photograph white gowns on the runway? Me neither)

5. Lots of dropped waists. There were many gowns that featured dropped waist silhouettes. Gorgeous, but maybe a bit tough to pull off?

(Photo by Patrick Ryan Photography)

6. Floral detailing. There were some pretty incredible floral details and the cool thing was that they weren't all the same. There was lace and embroidery with floral themes:

(Photo by Patrick Ryan Photography)

There were whole crystal and fabric flowers on the strap and running down the side of this dress:

(Photo by me)

There were dainty rosettes on the entirety of this gown:

(Photo by Patrick Ryan Photography)

Flowers showed up everywhere, but no two sets of floral details were the same.

7. The influence of bygone eras. The first thing we saw when we walked into the salon was this dress:

(Photo by my iPhone)

This and a couple of other dresses with similar silhouettes screamed Marie Antoinette to me. But in a good way.

8. The Fairytale motif. We saw a couple of dresses that really made me feel like I had been instantly transported into the middle of a fairytale. Even the model was made up to look soft and fairy-like:

(Unprofessional photography by moi)

9. Very dramatic trumpets. Many of the dresses in the collection were trumpet-shaped. Not just trumped-shaped, though, we're talking very, very fitted and then a dramatic flair into a chapel train. Very pretty and very dramatic. Sorry I don't have a picture that shows this better.

(Photo obviously by me)

10. Accessory trend: headband bling. Each and every one of the models had a killer headband worked into her updo and they were fabulous. I guess the headband trend is here to stay for another year!

(More by me, I was snapping away!)

I hope you loved seeing these gorgeous dresses as much as I did. We've only been married six months and I already fell in love with about three new wedding dresses at this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment