Wednesday, November 11, 2009

“Αστέρι” is Greek for Star : The Expected Greek Sights

Whenever I go to a foreign country, I try to go in without any expectations at all. Inevitably, I end up failing at that because we all have these visions of faraway places in our heads that we can't force out or forget -- they are safely tucked away after being absorbed from dramatic scenes in classic movies or vividly descriptive passages in our favorite books.

Greece is no different. While I tried to be as open-minded as possible about the experience that Mr. Star and I were about to embark upon together, there were many sights we saw that were entirely expected on my part.



Brightly-colored buildings, for one



Crumbling columns



A view from the mountain road of a gorgeous string of islands



Farmland stretched far as the eye can see



Cosy and rustic tavernas



The wild sea



Back alleys with a delightful air of secrecy



The white and blue striped flag



And pieces of artwork (like this famous Akrotiri fresco) straight from the pages of my Art History textbook


It was all so very "Greek" and romantic.

Did you see the "expected sights" in the places you visited on your honeymoon? Stay tuned for the "unexpected sights" next!

If you're following along, the Star honeymoon recaps are:

No comments:

Post a Comment